Catfish Fun Facts
- Our State Fish: Fellow Missourians may be surprised to find out that the Channel Catfish is actually the state fish of the Show-Me-State.
- NOT a Cat: Catfish are not a part of the feline family. (We hope that is obvious!) They were given the name due to the barbels around their mouths that resemble the whiskers on a cat.
- New Holiday: Congress declared August as National Catfish Month in the late 1980's to recognize the impact that the catfish industry made to our American economy. This tasty fish gets its own national day each year on June 25.
- Healthy Eating: The American Heart Association recommends eating at least 2 servings of seafood a week. This is a good way to lower your risk of developing heart disease. Catfish is moderately fatty, a very good source of high quality protein, and it contains no carbohydrates. This particular fish is also an excellent source of vitamin B-12. Good-for-you food that also tastes great!
- Over 100,000 Taste Buds: Not only do they taste great to eat, but the actual fish has a greater sense of taste than just about any other animal, including us! Since they tend to spend their lives searching the bottom of murky water, they need the extra taste buds to find food they cannot see. For comparison, a person has about 10,000 taste buds in their mouth, while catfish have at least 100,000 all over their bodies, and it is possible for some species to have up to 180,000!
Catfish - Shorty Pants Style
Now that you know a little more about this interesting fish, here comes the really important stuff... all the ways you can order it for lunch of dinner at our waterfront Cajun restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks!
A hand-breaded catfish filet served with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and our Cajun mayo on a toasted French roll. You can have the catfish fried or blackened.
Catfish Po Boy
A Cajun classic! Southern-fried catfish, homemade with Cajun mayo, lettuce, and tomato. If you prefer, we can serve this one blackened instead of fried. This sandwich, as well as the Catfish BLT, come with your choice of one side dish.
Two hand-breaded catfish filets, fried to a golden brown, served with house-made tartar sauce. This is also available blackened. It's served alongside a side salad or mini Caesar salad, your choice of one side dish, and either French bread or cornbread.
A catfish filet, either fried or blackened, served on a bed of rice, smothered in our amazing crawfish etouffee. This is served with a small salad and either French bread or corn bread.
Whether you're already a catfish lover or it's a fish you still need to try, the month of August has just given you a perfect excuse to make a meal out of it! Catfish is abundant in the Lake of the Ozarks, but its a lot easier to skip the work and simply come on in to our family friendly waterfront restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks and let us take care of the cooking for you! Happy National Catfish Month!
The Lake's #1 Creole Cuisine Restaurant, where you can expect a luxury, laid back experience at Lake of the Ozarks!!