In honor of this holiday, all of us at your favorite Lake of the Ozarks' restaurant did some research and put together a list of our favorite fun trivia facts about Halloween. Armed with these great bits of trivia, you'll be ready to impress everyone you know at the Halloween party!
1. Americans spend about two billion dollars on Halloween candy every year.
2. The tradition of wearing costumes on Halloween dates back to the ancient Celtic culture. Celts believed that spirits and ghosts traveled about the land on Halloween night. In order to avoid being recognized as humans, they began dressing in masks and other costumes.
3. "Samhainophobia" refers to the fear of Halloween.
4. The great magician Harry Houdini died on Halloween night in 1926.
5. Jack-o-lanterns were originally carved out of turnips and potatoes, not pumpkins.
7. One-fourth of all the candy sold per year is for Halloween.
8. There is actually a town in Missouri called Frankenstein (but it was established years before the monster was born).
9. More than 35 million pounds of candy corn are made each year.
10. October 31st is the last day of the Celtic calendar. It was originally a pagan holiday dedicated to honoring those who had died.
11. The top pumpkin-producing states are Ohio, New York, Illinois, and California.
We hope you have a devilishly good time this Halloween Weekend! Don't forget that the Lake of the Ozarks' best lakefront bar is still open seven days a week... Come show off your costume at the Lake's number one restaurant destination! We'll be here!